Prof. Leon L. Shaw's Group
Awards & Honors
Awards & Honors
Elected Fellows and Members (Dr. Shaw):
- Fellow, ASM International (since 2004).
- Fellow, World Academy of Materials and Manufacturing Engineering Poland (since 2005).
- Member, Connecticut Academy of Science and Engineering (since 2006)
- Member, EU Academy of Sciences (since 2019)
- Fellow, International Association of Advanced Materials (since 2020)
Research Awards and Featured in Various Magazines:
- "Researchers to Know in 2020" recognized by Illinois Science & Techology Coalition.
- "Excellence in Research Award for 2020" Department of Mechanical, Materials and Aerospace Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology.
- IAAM Fellow Lecture at the Advanced Materials Lecture Series, published at the Open Access Video Proceedings of Advanced Materials: VPOAM-2020- RG-E-12, 2020.
- “Key Scientific Article Contributing to Research Excellence” featured by Advances in Engineering in December 2019
- Keynote Presentation at the 2nd International Conference on Materials Science and Materials Chemistry: “Coating as a Potent Method to Enhance the Specific Capacity, Charge Rate and Cycle Life of Cathodes for Next-Generation Li-ion Batteries”, London, United Kingdom, March 20 – 21, 2019.
- “Energy Award” in 2018 presented by International Association of Advanced Materials (IAAM).
- Energy Award Lecture in the Plenary Session of the 20th Assembly of the European Advanced Materials Congress 2018: “Hierarchical Design and Synthesis of Si Anodes for Next-Generation Li-ion Batteries”.
- Keynote Presentation at THERMEC’2016: “Hierarchical Design and Synthesis of Nanomaterials to Enable High Capacity Rechargeable Battery Electrodes,” Graz, Austria, May 29 – June 3, 2016.
- “Key Scientific Article contributing to the Excellence in Energy Research” featured by Renewable Energy Global Innovations in June 2015.
- Keynote Presentation at Cleantech 2014: “High Voltage, High Capacity, Ambient Temperature Sodium-Based Flow Batteries,” Washington DC, June 15 – 19, 2014.
- Keynote Presentation at ISPlasma2013: “Energy Storage Enabled by Nanomaterials and Advanced Processing,” Nagoya, Japan, January 28 - February 1, 2013.
- NSF Highlights: “Next Generation Bone Implants: More Like the Real Thing” for the NSF Project: Functionally Graded Orthopedic Implants via the Slurry Mixing and Dispensing Process (2011).
- Outstanding Poster Award, MS&T’ 2011, October 16 – 20, 2011, Columbus, OH (2011).
- "Catch-and-Release Solid-State Fuel Cell Material Operates Coolly,” featured by Battelle Newsletter – the Business of Innovation, December 3, 2010.
- “Shaw Pioneers New Nanomaterials,” featured in UConn Magazine, Spring 2010, p. 10.
- "Functionally Graded Implants Fuse Strength with a Bioactive Surface" featured in Medical Production engineering News, March 2010, p. 6.
- “Highly Commended Paper for Excellence 2006” by Emerald Group Publishing Limited (2006).
- “Low Cost, High Performance Nanostructured Bulk WC-Co Materials” featured in Cutting Tool Engineering, 55  78 (2003).
- Best Poster Award for the 14th Solid Freeform Fabrication (SFF) Annual Meeting, Austin, TX (2003).
- “Thermal Spraying of Nanostructured Al2O3-TiO2 Coatings & Nanostructured WC-Co Coatings” featured in High Tech Ceramics News, 14  3 (2002) and in Small Times Magazine, Sept 19, 2002
- “Novel Synthesis of Nanostructured Carbides” featured in Chemical Engineering, 105  27 (1998); in Am. Ceram. Soc. Bull., 77  24 (1998); and in Sealing Technology, No. 54, p. 6 (1998).
- Second place of the 1991 Excellent Academic Papers, the Science Association of Fujian, China (1991).
- “Cool It! Molecular-Level Mechanism for Hydrogenation in Hydrogen Storage System Revealed,” featured by EMSL, published online at www.emsl.pnl.gov.
- “PNNL and Connecticut New Low Temperature Hydrogen Solid Storage” featured by The Hydrogen Journal, published online at http://www.h2journal.com/ displaynews.php?NewsID=575.
Outstanding Graduate Student Awards from Shaw’s Group:
- 2018 – ASM Chicago Regional Chapter Carl Samans Award for outstanding research in Li-ion batteries (Mr. Maziar Ashuri)
- 2018 – The First Place winner in the poster competition at the 2018 Joint Advanced Photon Source/Center for Nanoscale Materials(APS/CNM) Users Meeting, Argonne National Laboratory, May 8, 2018 (Ms. Qianran He).
- 2018 – The First Place winner at the ASM Chicago Regional Chapter Poster Competition (Ms. Shan-Ju Chiang).
- 2018 – Armour College of Engineering 2018 Scholarship for Research in Engineering for outstanding research in Na-ion batteries (Ms. Mei Luo).
- 2018 – The First Place winner in the MMAE Department poster competition at the PhD student category (Ms. Qianran He).
- 2018 – The Third Place winner at the ASM Chicago Regional Chapter Poster Competition (Ms. Mei Luo).
- 2010 – Outstanding Graduate Student Award of the Materials Science and Engineering Program, UConn (Dr. Tippawan Markmaitree)
- 2011 – Graduate Excellence in Materials Science (GEMS) Award (Dr. Yang Zhong), MS&T’ 2011, October 16 – 20, 2011, Columbus, OH.
- 2011 – Engineering Outstanding Women Graduate Student Award, UConn (Dr. Xuefei Wan)
- 2009 – Outstanding Graduate Theses Award of the School of Engineering, UConn (Dr. William A. Osborn).
Award-Winning Faculty Advisor to the Student Chapters at the University of Connecticut (1998 – 2001 & 2002 – 2004) with the following national and international awards:
- ASM/TMS Chapters of Excellence for Technical Programming in 1999
- ASM/TMS Chapters of Excellence for Technical Programming in 2001
- ASM/TMS Chapters of Excellence for Promotion of the Field in 2003
- The First Place Winner of the 2003 AIST, ASM, TMS World Materials Outreach Day Award
- The First Place Winner of the 2004 AIST, ASM, TMS World Materials Outreach Day Award
Other Awards (Dr. Shaw):
- 2010 – Nominated for the 2010 Kavli Prize in Nanoscience.
- 2010 – The John & Virginia Towers Distinguished Lecture, Michigan Technological University.
- 2011 – Nominated for the Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor at the University of Connecticut.
- 2006 – Outstanding Faculty Member of the Chemical, Materials & Biomolecular Engineering Dept., University of Connecticut.
- 2001 – UConn Metallurgy and Materials Engineering 2001 Outstanding Department Member Award.
- 2000 – UConn School of Engineering Outstanding Junior Faculty Award, 2000.
- 1999 – Honorary Advisory Professorship of Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, China.
- 1999 – Honorary Guest Professorship of Fuzhou University, Fuzhou, China.
- 1995 – Olin Junior Faculty Development Award, Olin Corporation.
- 1994 - Los Alamos National Laboratory J. Robert Oppenheimer Postdoctoral Fellowship Award.
- 1992 – First place of the ASM International Graduate Student Paper Contest, ASM International.
- 1992 – Oak Ridge National Laboratory Eugene P. Wigner Fellowship Award, 1992.